I guess it's time to start thinking about packing my hospital bag...only I can't. I can't bring myself to it. I'm a horrible packer. I hate it. No really, we went to Hawaii last year for our honeymoon and as unbelievably excited as I was I didn't finish packing until the morning we were to catch our flight. I just don't like packing, period. I will procrastinate until the last possible minute. It brings on a whole other level of anxiety.
I did find a helpful list of what I should pack since I really can't remember that long ago. I still think the list exaggerates on what you should bring vs. what I'll actually need. The hubs is insisting I have the bag packed or I will end up with all kinds of things I don't want if he's left in charge of it.
- nightgown or pajamas - All you get to wear is that sweet open backed hospital issued maternity gown. All modesty seems to go out the window during labor.
- slippers and socks - YES! A must. I think I always forgot these in the past. I will also add a pair of flip flops for the shower. It takes me back to my college days and having to share the shower stalls. You never went in the stalls without your flip flops on.
- underwear - now this is something that the hospital actually provides that I'll never forget...those sweet oversized, granny mesh undies. Before, during and after labor all desires for fashion go out the window and comfort is the only thing on your mind.
- toiletries - but of course, only how do you pack these things without buying a brand new everything. I'm using these items daily so I can't exactly pack them ahead of time. Surely the hubs can figure out the essentials, such as my toothbrush. We shall see.
- going home outfit - so the pregnancy is over and as a first timer many years ago I thought I'd be going home several sizes smaller...WRONG! Reality is, you're no smaller after than you were before. It took 9 months to pack all that on, it'll take at least that (if not double) to get it all back off. So, maternity clothing or "fat pants" (think yoga, stretch lounge pants)....check! Note to self: go easy on yourself, it will take time to get where you want to be, embrace the miracle and not your weight.
The list really isn't that long. I just need to buck up and do it. Some of the other items they suggest make me laugh.
- massage lotions
- aromatherapy items