Friday, April 10, 2015

""Little" Number Two

In Sept 2014 I was matched with my first "little" through the Big Brothers Big Sisters program.  She was super shy and rather hard to get to know but slowly we were getting to know each other better.  Arranging events/time with my little was challenging and often frustrating.  Unfortunately, she moved twice within the few short months we were matched.  Eventually they up and moved out of the city and didn't tell me until I called to pick her up.  This ended our match.  To be completely honest I was okay with the match ending.


Being a "big" can be frustrating at times and to be honest I was struggling with my match. It wasn't her, it was me.  I wasn't sure I was ready for such a big responsibility.  I was struggling with how hard it was to get her to open up or express/share anything with me.  Maybe it wasn't the right match?  Maybe I was still being too selfish with my time? Whatever it was, I'm not entirely sure, probably a mix of a lot of things. I'm sad to see my "little" being moved from house to house, school to school, city to city.  It's not good on her.  I know a stable figure and role model is something this girl needs more than most kids. 


I took a break from BBBS for a couple months to regroup.  I thought long and hard about whether I even wanted to give it another shot.  It boils down to this, these kids need my time more than I do.  I can help. I can give them something they can depend on.  I can add smiles and laughs to their days.  I can do this.  I want to do this.  So I shall.


I received my "little" bio today.  Match #2 coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment