Thursday, February 13, 2014

38 Week Visit

Yesterday was my 38 week checkup.  It started with an ultrasound to figure out how Graham is laying.  The results...
He's transverse, or laying left to right instead of head up or down.  It looks a lot like the pic above only he is facing outwards.  This explains a LOT of my discomfort as far as bending and breathing.  It's a much tighter fight for him and puts more pressure on the both of us.  What I've always thought to be his butt tucked into my right ribcage is actually his head.   

Obviously he cannot come out this way so we're looking at three possibilities right now:

  1. ECV - this is where the doctor tries to turn the baby with this hands.  It involves a little medication to relax the uterus and fetal monitoring to make sure baby tolerates it well.
  2. C-section
  3. Wait it out and see if he flips on his own, if he doesn't and I go into labor, well then we're pretty much just left with the C-section option
My head was spinning after we left the office and I didn't know what to do.  I was so confused.  Everything up until this point has been the norm.  I've carried two of my own children and it's all been fairly routine.  This was uncharted territory.  This was a big decision.  This was a decision I wasn't prepared to make.  Last blog I posted about only making decisions affecting my care, well here I am having to decide something that has overlapped Graham and I.  Yes, this affects my care but in turn also affects Graham's.  That was a little more pressure than I woke up prepared for.

D and I spent a little time just sitting in the parking lot after the appointment.  I think we were both a little dazed and caught off guard.  I may have shed a tear or two but D has always been amazing when it comes to talking me through stressful situations.  He said all the right things and helped me remember that whatever the decision, it will be His plan, not ours.  Have I mentioned how blessed I am to have such a wonderful husband?!

After much thought and a good night's rest ("good?!"...okay, that's a stretch) I've decided I'm going to give the ECV a shot in hopes to avoid the C-section.  If it works, fantastic!  If it doesn't, then C-section it is.  Or perhaps Graham will just surprise us all with his own plans.


  1. OH man. Praying hard for that to work. You are amazing, Jen, and YAY for D!

  2. Praying and crossing toes & such!