Friday, October 18, 2013

A Little Emotional Today...

My kids are fortunate enough that it works out perfectly for me to drop them off at their schools on my way to work every morning.  D and I were just talking about how fortunate they were to not have to get up super early in the morning to catch the school bus.  I can recall missing the bus so many times as a kid because it just came too darn early.  I'm not an early morning person by any means.  However, allow me to sleep until 9 or 10 am and I'm good to go.

As I was dropping C off at middle school today I got a little choked up.  My emotions have been harder to express since I became pregnant.  I've always considered myself a pretty emotional person but something about being pregnant has really roped in my emotions.  Anyhow, I was watching him walk into the building this morning and thinking to myself, "When did this happen?!  When did he grow up on us and where has the time went?"  Tears started to well up and I drove away before I embarrassed him or myself.

If I could offer a little piece of advice to E&G from experience, I would say...do not wish away a minute of time.  I know that sounds pretty common sense and who in their right mind would wish away time with their child, right?  What I mean is, when it's month 2, 3 or 4 of nonstop early morning cries and diaper changes and you're completely exhausted from juggling work and taking care of the baby, you will be tempted to say, "I cannot wait until we're past this stage".  From someone on the other side, believe me, you can wait and even more than that, you will miss this.  I promise.

To be honest, those were very exhausting/trying times but they were also some of the best bonding moments with my children.  They adored their mom and dad and nothing was more soothing to them, or to us, than cuddling.  Those times are now gone.  My heart holds onto those memories but as time passes it's harder to remember them. 

Now, I have a teen that rarely allows me to hug him.  He thinks he doesn't need me as much anymore but I would argue that until my last breath.  It has slipped through my hands quicker than I could even realize it was happening.  He's a great kid and he means no harm to mom's feelers.  He's just simply growing up. ((Sigh)).

No comments:

Post a Comment